GenEd Proposals

Proposing a course to count in the campus General Education curriculum

Campus-wide General Education (GenEd) went into effect at IU Bloomington beginning with the 2011-2012 Academic Year. The GenEd program is administered the Office of Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education.

While the GenEd is similar to the College of Arts and Science Education (CASE) requirements, they are distinct requirements.

GenEd course assessment

All sections of courses that have been approved for the GenEd curriculum must participate in the assessment of at least one GenEd Learning Outcome each semester the course is taught. While not a particularly arduous process, it does require some planning.

The College expects the administration of each unit to:

  • Inform instructors who are teaching a GenEd course of their GenEd duties and obligations
  • Remind instructors of assessment deadlines
  • Monitor assessment completion progress through the GenEd Learning Outcomes Repository

The LOR is where instructors complete the GenEd assessment process and where unit administrators and assessment coordinators can track whether unit instructors have completed their assessment reporting.

If you are a unit administrator and need access to the LOR, please complete a LOR help request.

Below are templates that units may modify and send to GenEd instructors each semester.

Additional information about General Education Assessment can be found on the General Education website.

Special GenEd approvals

Requests to count a "transfer" course—usually an "undistributed" course or one taught at another IU campus—by special exception toward a General Education requirement are considered on a case-by-case basis. The request must come from a unit administrator (usually the Director of Undergraduate Studies) for the content area of the course. Requests should be sent to the Office of Undergraduate Curriculum, Policy, and Records at and include the following:

  • Student's name and IU ID number
  • Name of course on the student record
  • Type of GenEd credit being sought (A&H, S&H, N&M, MM, EC, WL, or WC)
  • Rationale for the request (how are the learning outcomes for the designation met)
  • Syllabus (as an attachment) for the course the student took at the other campus or institution

If the College agrees with the unit's assessment, the College will forward the request to the General Education Committee for their consideration. If the General Education Committee approves, an exception will be applied to the student's record.